Friday, October 20, 2017

           
While I have been working on the jewellery work shown on this blog, I have actually also been giving some further thought to other kinds of creative projects I can do to make a few extra pennies at some point.
A while ago I was showing some old drawings to a visitor I had - I was commissioned to do these for an advert that was placed in a local newspaper. Upon showing the drawings this person said she felt I could potentially reproduce these and sell them. I was particularly encouraged by her words and it got me thinking about other ways I might be able to generate income from my art. My quiet but often present entrepreneurial side surged to the fore and since this time this idea has largely been propelling my more recent jewellery making efforts, while also thinking about re visiting her idea some time a little down the track.
Having experienced the reality of selling my artwork via exhibitions in the past - 'painting' being my first passion having majored in it while at art school years ago in the early to mid nineties - I know there is a lot of work - both physical and psychological - that goes into this whole process and therefore is not always an easy or most readily means available to make money, let alone any kind of regular income of any sort (unless of course one has become a relatively well known artist exhibiting and selling work regularly for hundreds and thousands of dollars!).
So while I would love to be able to generate income through painting alone, I don't know how real this is, hence my interest in other possible ideas and forms of creativity.

Percolating away in the back of my mind is also the possibility of giving my old drawings new life and recreating them - although each with its own individual touch. The particular themes are images of teddy bears so I think they would perhaps appeal to people with children for children's rooms etc.
I also have a wee line drawing and painting I completed also years ago that I think could be an easy image to re create more in bulk. I have often also thought about the huge stash of artwork from my student days still languishing in the garage all these years later, photographing this and putting in onto a sales website to see if anybody would be interested in it. I guess one doesn't know until you try!

For now I just need to work on growing confidence to put myself out into the world and in time master the art of online selling. I have identified a number of online sites where art can be sold through both nationally and internationally so when the time is right I really do wish to go forth down this avenue.  

No comments:

Post a Comment